Dovonex is an effective prescription treatment for the most common type of psoriasis – chronic plaque psoriasis.
If you've been diagnosed with chronic plaque psoriasis, you can order treatment from us. Complete a short online assessment and place your order. Your Online Doctor will check treatment is right for you, and if it is, your order can be delivered, or collected in-store if you prefer.
To place an order, fill in a brief questionnaire. One of our doctors will review your order and prescribe a suitable treatment.
|1 x 30g tube||£33|
|2 x 30g tube||£63|
|3 x 30g tube||£85|
Price includes standard delivery or click and collect.
In a hurry? Choose Click and Collect and pick up your order after just 4 hours from a Alpha XR Pharmacy.
Fully trusted and UK-regulated
✔ Regulated by the CQC
✔ GPhC-registered pharmacies
Dovonex is a treatment for Psoriasis – Dovonex helps reduce the symptoms of a flare up of psoriasis. Psoriasis causes extra growth of scaly skin. Dovonex helps reduce the amount of skin growth so it helps reduce the amount of extra scaly skin. The skin growth also causes symptoms like itching so Dovonex helps reduce this too.
Dovonex is a topical cream – Dovonex is applied to your psoriasis symptoms directly. The cream is rubbed into the area that is showing extra skin growth. This makes it very easy to use and is more comfortable for some people than swallowing pills. Also because it’s a topical treatment, the medication mostly just affects the areas it’s used on. This means it’s less likely to cause whole-body side effects. Dovonex should not be applied to the face, and should only be used on your body.
Dovonex contains ‘calcipotriol’ – the active ingredient is call calcipotriol and is a vitamin-D related medication. This is what causes the reduction in skin growth that improves symptoms. Dovonex also includes some other ingredients:
- Disodium edatate
- Disodium phosphate dihydrate
- DL-a tocopheol
- Liquid paraffin
- Macrogol (2) stearyl ether
- Propylene glycol
- Purified water
- White soft paraffin
Yes, you can with Alpha XR Online Doctor – we offer an easy way to buy psoriasis ointment online (ointment is like cream but clearer). Once you’ve been diagnosed with chronic plaque psoriasis, you can get assessed for treatment by a UK registered doctor.
How to place an order:
- Fill in a short online assessment
- Upload 2 different photos of your symptoms
- Submit your treatment order
- Your Online Doctor will check your assessment and photos
- They will approve treatment if it’s right for you
- Your treatment will then be posted to your preferred address
Why order online? – there’s a number of advantages to ordering online, including:
- No need to make an appointment – you can place an order any time you want as long as you have internet access
- No need for a face-to-face consultation – you can get a remote assessment so no need to talk to someone if you don’t want to
- No need to get a paper prescription – your assessment automatically generates an electronic prescription to the pharmacy so you don’t need to print or carry any paper with you
- No need to go to a pharmacy – because we deliver all medication free of charge, you don’t need to pick it up, unless you want to
- You can get convenient follow-up support – you will be able to call our Customer Services team for support with your order. You will also be able to message a doctor directly from your account if you need any extra medical advice
How to tell if you have psoriasis – psoriasis symptoms include scaly, itchy skin, but it’s easy to mistake one skin condition for another. You can’t know for sure that you have psoriasis without getting a diagnosis from a doctor. Once they’ve confirmed your psoriasis, then you can consider treatment. Dovonex is only for one type of psoriasis, chronic plaque psoriasis. If you have another type you will need to find an alternative treatment.
Can everyone use Dovonex? – no, not everyone should use Dovonex. There are health conditions and other medications that make it unsafe to use Dovonex. Your doctor will check these during your assessment, so it’s important to give accurate information.
Health conditions that make Dovonex unsafe:
- An allergy to calcipotriol or other Dovonex ingredients
- Liver problems
- Kidney problems
- You have abnormal levels of calcium in your body
Other treatments that can’t be used with Dovonex:
- UV light treatment, for psoriasis or another health condition
- Calcium supplements
How to use Dovonex:
- Remove the cap of your Dovonex
- Use your finger to apply the ointment to the area affected by your psoriasis symptoms - Dovonex should be used on your body and not applied to your face.
- Use enough ointment so there is a thick layer of ointment that covers the area completely
- Rub the ointment gently into your skin
- Replace the cap on your ointment and store in somewhere cool and out of reach of children
Follow a doctor’s instructions – you should always follow the advice your doctor has given you about taking treatments like Dovonex. You can also check the patient information that comes with your medication if you need more information. Or, you can message your doctor from your account if you need help.
Additional advice for using Dovonex:
- Dovonex is only for your body. It should not be applied to your face.
- Wash your hands before and after using Dovonex, and try not to get it anywhere other than on your psoriasis symptoms – if you get accidentally get it somewhere else, wash it off straight away
- Don’t use more than 100g of Dovonex in one week
- Don’t mix Dovonex with other ointments/creams or topical treatments
- Don’t eat Dovonex or use it inside your body
- Moisturise regular to help support your Dovonex treatment
- Avoid too much time in the sun or on tanning beds
Yes it can – like any medication, Dovonex can cause side effects in some people. Generally side effects are mild and you can usually put up with them. If you can’t, you should see a doctor about other treatment options.
Possible side effects of Dovonex:
- Common (less than 1 in 10 people will get these):
- The psoriasis gets worse
- Your skin becomes inflamed, irritated, red, flaky, or itchy
- You get a rash or a painful burning sensation where you used the ointment
- You get a rash similar to eczema
- Uncommon side effects (less than 1 in 10 people will get these):
- Your hair follicles get infected
- You get a rash that is itchy, scaly, and can cause blisters or gets crusty
- You get dry skin
- The medication causes your skin to change colour where it was used
- Rare side effects (less than 1 in 100 people will get these):
- You get an allergic reaction to Dovonex
- Too much calcium builds up in your body
- You become extra sensitive to sunlight
- You get puffy or swollen skin
Serious side effects – these side effects mean that you need to get medical help right away. They include:
- You have problems breathing
- Your face or eyes begin to swell up
- You get a bad rash with a lot of blisters or bleeding
- You feel like you need to urinate a lot more than normal
- You feel excessively thirsty
- Get a dry feeling in your mouth or you taste metal
- You feel physically weak or your bones and muscles start hurting