Order your Canesten Combi online
Canesten Combi is a combined vaginal thrush treatment. Our fast and convenient service allows you to order Canesten Combi online without having to see your GP first.
There are two types of Canesten Combi treatments for vaginal thrush:
- A Canesten Combi pessary (vaginal tablet) and external cream
- A Canesten Combi internal and external cream
At Alpha XR Online Doctor, we offer the Canesten Combi that contains a pessary and external cream.
To place an order, fill in a brief questionnaire. One of our doctors will review your order and prescribe a suitable treatment.
Price includes standard delivery or click and collect.
In a hurry? Choose Click and Collect and pick up your order after just 4 hours from a Alpha XR Pharmacy.
Fully trusted and UK-regulated
✔ Regulated by the CQC
✔ GPhC-registered pharmacies
Our service is right for women 16 to 60 who have symptoms of thrush and have had their first thrush infection diagnosed by a doctor.
Please note some women may not be able to use Canesten Combi because of other pre-existing health conditions or because they’re taking other medications that can react with Canesten Combi.
Women should consider a thrush infection if they have any of the following common symptoms:
- An itchy vagina or vulva
- Soreness around the entry of the vagina
- Swelling of the vaginal lips (labia)
- White cottage cheese like discharge – this may be thick
- Soreness, pain or stinging during sex or when urinating
- Cracked skin around the vulva
Visit your doctor the first time you have thrush – that way you’ll get the correct diagnosis and you’ll be able to recognise your own symptoms in the future. If it’s thrush, you’ll be able to treat it easily and independently at home. It doesn’t take long to clear up once you start treatment.
Thrush isn’t a sexually transmitted infection (STI), but it’s important you don’t delay getting advice if you could be at risk of a having an STI.
It’s important to visit your doctor the first time you experience thrush for a correct diagnosis. It’s not always necessary to have a test for thrush though. Your doctor or nurse may look at the vagina area or use a swab to collect a sample from there to diagnose a thrush infection.
You can buy a test to do at home for thrush. The accuracy of these test varies. If you want to buy a test make sure you get advice first from your pharmacist or doctor.
Please note you can’t buy treatment online without a previous, first-time diagnosis of vaginal thrush.
To place your order, fill in our short, online questionnaire. A Alpha XR doctor will check your order and make sure if treatment is right for you.
Our pharmacy will get your medication ready and post it out. We offer a fast and discreet delivery service. You can choose your delivery option at the checkout.
You can get Canesten Combi online from us if:
- You are 16 or over and under 60
- Your first vaginal thrush infection was diagnosed by a doctor
There’s a good chance Canesten Combi is right for you – this is because it’s a complete treatment for both internal and external vaginal thrush symptoms. It’s also a common go to treatment for simple thrush infections.
The easiest way to tell if Canesten Combi is right for you is to get an online assessment – our online assessment normally takes around a few minutes to complete.
The active ingredient in Canesten Combi is Clotrimazole. Clotrimazole belongs to a group of medicines called azoles. It’s an antifungal that’s stops the growth of the fungus causing your thrush.
The strength of Clotrimazole in the Canesten pessary is 500mg. The strength of the Canesten cream is 2%. The pessary is for vaginal use only. The cream is for external use only. The pessary comes with an applicator which should be used to insert your pessary.
Use the pessary as follows:
- Remove the applicator from the packaging and pull out its plunger until it stops
- Remove the pessary from the foil blister pack and place it firmly into the applicator
- Squeeze the applicator lightly at both sides to fit it into the applicator. The pessary fits tightly into the applicator and needs to be squeezed into the holder to about 1cm
- Carefully put the applicator as deep as is comfortable into the vagina. This is easiest when lying on your back with your knees up
- Hold the applicator in place and slowly press the plunger until it stops so that the pessary is deposited into the vagina
- Remove the applicator and dispose of it in a safe place
For the thrush cream:
- Before use, pierce the tube seal by inverting the cap over the end of the tube and press down
- Apply the cream thinly and evenly around the entrance of the vagina
The pessary is a single one off treatment. The cream should be applied 2 or 3 times a day for seven days or as directed by your doctor.
Here’s some tips and tricks for how to get the best results with your Canesten Combi:
- Use Canesten Combi exactly as the instructions say – this means using the pessary in the vagina and applying the cream to the vagina
- Always give your doctor/healthcare provider accurate info about any other medication you are taking.
- It’s best to insert the pessary at night for convenience and comfort
- The pessary can occasionally cause some minor discharge – this is nothing to worry about. You can consider using a pantyliner if this happens
- Wash your hands before removing the foil from the blister pack and again afterwards when you have used the applicator.
- Dispose of the applicator in a safe place and out of reach of children. The applicator can’t be flushed down the toilet
- Avoid starting thrush treatment during your period as this can wash out the pessary
- Try to ensure your treatment ends before the start of your period
- Don’t use tampons, vaginal douches, spermicides, or other vaginal products with Canesten Combi
Thrush can be easily treated with Canesten Combi. Your symptoms should disappear within three days of treatment. Treatment is usually for a maximum of 7 days.
It’s important to see your doctor if symptoms don’t improve after 7 days. You may need to use Canesten Combi again if your infection returns after seven days.
Speak to your doctor if you have more than two infections in six months.
The Canesten pessary usually works within a day and its effect lasts for 3 to 4 days.
You can have sex if you have vaginal thrush. It may be uncomfortable and you may experience pain or a burning sensation during or after sex.
Canesten Combi can weaken condoms. It’s recommended to use the treatment after you have had sex if you are using condoms. Canesten Combi can reduce the effectiveness of condoms. It’s recommended to use extra precautions for five days after using Canesten Combi.
It’s recommended to avoid sex during an infection. There’s a risk your partner could also become infected, but this is uncommon.
You can use Canesten thrush pessaries if you're pregnant, but only under the supervision of your doctor or midwife. The pessary should be inserted without the use of an applicator during pregnancy. Speak to your doctor for further advice.
Canesten Thrush Duo is another antifungal thrush treatment. It’s different to Canesten Combi as it includes one single dose of an antifungal called fluconazole and a cream with clotrimazole 2%. The single dose of fluconazole is a capsule taken by mouth with some water.
It’s as effective as Canesten Combi in the treatment of vaginal thrush. The difference is that it includes a vaginal pessary to treat internal symptoms, whereas Canesten Thrush Duo treats internal symptoms with a capsule taken by mouth.
Canesten HC cream is used to treat fungal skin infections where there are also symptoms of inflammation such as swelling, itching, and redness. It includes the active ingredients, clotrimazole and a mild steroid called hydrocortisone. It’s used to treat athletes foots, nappy rash, and infections in the fold of the breast. You can also buy Canesten HC for certain skin infections.
Canesten HC used for the treatment of infection and irritation on the vagina or penis is available on prescription only.
The following side effects are the most common with Canesten Combi:
After you use the Canesten pessary you might experience:
- Vaginal peeling
- Stomach or pelvic pain
After you apply the Canesten cream you might experience:
- Peeling of skin
Speak to your doctor if you experience any of the side effects especially if they are bothering you. Mild side effects should disappear on their own within a few days.
As with all medicines, there is a risk you may be allergic to the pessary or cream. Although rare, this can occur soon after you use your medication. If you experience redness, burning, pain, itching or swelling, and the reaction gets worse, stop using it and speak to your doctor immediately, or contact your nearest A&E department.
Signs of a severe allergic reaction may include a widespread rash, breathing difficulty, and swelling of your lips, face, throat, or tongue. You could also experience feeling sick, dizzy, or faint. Seek immediate medical attention if you notice any signs of a severe allergic reaction.
Do not put the pessary or cream in your mouth, or swallow them. If the pessary or cream are swallowed accidentally, speak to your doctor straight away or contact your nearest A&E department.
Bayer plc. Canesten thrush combi pessary and external cream. EMC. [online] Available at: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.5532.pdf [accessed 31st January 2019].
FPA (2018). Thrush and bacterial vaginosis. [online] Available at: https://www.fpa.org.uk/sites/default/files/thrush-bacterial-vaginosis-information-and-advice.pdf [accessed 31st January 2019].